Malcolm Webb

I'm 6'4" also. Used a walking stick for a few years in my youth when
walking underground as a mining surveyor. Sticks were provided for
officials in the mining industry here in the UK -- called Deputy's yard
sticks, they were a yard long. They were an easy and quick way to make
daily measurements. Never long enough for me. I had one made which was a
metre long (about 39 inches). I still have it. I also have 2 others
which have been specially made for me over the years by friends in
anticipation of my old age. One is turned walnut with a silver top and
ferrule -- 40" long overall. Ideal length for me.

I once had a problem while surveying trying to reconcile one guys
measurements with mine on my quarterly survey. He'd used his yard stick
to measure, so there shouldn't have been that much discrepancy in the
figures.

Then I realised he was much shorter than me, and I measured his stick.
He'd cut it down to 2'9". So every time he measured 10 yards (10 stick
lengths), he was actually measuring 27'6".

Malcolm Webb