jmiguez

Forgive me for coming in so late. I have been out of town on business
and was on my cell phone while driving so, I couldn't reply sooner.
I am a cell phone user and a pilot.

What I am about to state is my opinion. I do not wish to impose my
views on anyone else. Nor will I argue the merits of my opinion over
anyone else's opinion. That is the nice thing about this country.
We have freedom to express our opinions if, LOL we are willing to
accept the consequences.

Seriously, I have read about 2/3 of the replies. So if I repeat
something, I apologize. I drive or up until recently flew myself about
40,000 a year on business. That cell phone is a tool. To ask me to
pull over while talking would mean that I never get anywhere. I have
and use almost 1250 cell phone minutes a month.

Yes, it is more dangerous to use a cell phone while driving than to not
use one. So are the many activities that have been mentioned by one
person or another. That is why we pay a thousand dollars or more for
auto insurance each year. It covers all the stupid things people do
while driving that lead to accidents.

I live in the south and travel the southwest. People in these states
are not as readily to allow (what I view as) excessive government
intrusions into their daily lives as the majority of people who live in
the northeastern states. So, I don't expect to see cell phone bans
in Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, etc anytime soon.

I think the density of people living in an area has a lot to do with
the view of cell phone usage. The northeast and west coast areas have
a greater number of people living in a given area. The odds are that
the more people you have the more stupid thing that will be done. So,
you find laws, such as in New York that ban cell phone usage while
driving.

If I am driving in New York and a business call come in. I will answer
it. If I get a ticket, I will pay it and move on. I would consider it
the cost of doing business.

One comment on flying; radio usage in airplanes is short and to the
point. Pilots do not B.S. on the radio. Someone mentioned flying
within six feet of each other. I have done numerous formation takeoffs
in F-4s. We mostly used hand and head signals. The radio was reserved
for emergencies. The same with formation flying. Lead would give his
wingmen hand signals while in tight formation. The only radio talk was
a short, "two", "three", etc in acknowledgment of frequency
changes. Lead did all the communication with the ground controllers.

I know this goes against cell phone usage in a car. I never said it
was the safest thing to do. I only view the risks vs. rewards as
acceptable in my favor. In thirty-five years of driving, I have two
only minor accidents. Neither of them evolved cell phone usage.

John