Harold and Susan Vordos

"Nick Hull" wrote in message
In article ,
"Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote:

Should be nothing more than mild steel, Peter. Check with a magnet to

make
sure it's magnetic. If it is, anything that could be heat treated would
hardly act like a shear pin-----it would likely be too hard to function
properly. The whole idea behind shear pins is to let go to save other
components. You should be able to make the pin, but if it's a tapered

one,
please describe it---could be I have one.

On my farm equipment I use grade 8 bolts, they hold well and break
clean. Grade 2 and sometimes grade 5 smear at the break and are a real
dog to get out.

Chuckle!! And if the grade 8 holds and the gear doesn't, how hard and
expensive is it to change the gear(s)?

Shear pins are generally supposed to be the weak link in a
circuit-------intended to fail before expensive components do. If you've
been shearing grade 8 bolts and they're not undercut, you're one lucky man,
unless your equipment is designed around the concept. Does the
manufacturer recommend the grade 8 bolts?

Harold