Mike Henry

Robert,

Sorry - that wasn't a very good explanation and I may be using the wrong
terminology. Let me try again using an example from a recent project, a
model of Jerry Howell's V-Twin model engine, which has two pistons oriented
90 degrees apart from each other. In Alibre Standard or Pro the connecting
rods and pistons can be constrained so that they have the proper orientation
with respect to the crankshaft but are free to move up and down along their
respective axes. If the crankshaft is rotated within the model the pistons
will move up and down along their axes as they would in the working engine
but the model can only show one particular position of the crankshaft and
pistons at one time and that's what I meant by a static display. With
Alibre Expert it would be possible to animate the rotation of the crankshaft
and the resulting movement of the pistons. I assume that the animation can
be saved as an external file that others can view, but am not positive since
I dont have the expert version.

Clear as mud, right?

Mike

"Siggy" wrote in message
. com...
Mike - I don't understand why you say that AD/AD Pro constraints are a
static operation? Are you just referring to the fact that it isn't a
hands off operation? I have models of steam engines that I have built
that are fully functional - all the valves slide, crank turns, pistons
move up and down, etc. I can click in the crankshaft, and using the
rotate part command watch my electronic engine run all day long if I wish.
To be sure, for dynamic analysis of that motion you need the other module
but you can "run" your models with the base package.

Robert

"Mike Henry" wrote in message
I think that full mechanical simulation requires buying the Expert version
of Alibre, which includes MSC.visualNastran Motion as an add-in. This is
a link to Alibre's short description of what it does and there are a few
simulations that can be viewed on-line:

http://www.alibre.com/products/addon...ran-motion.asp

I have the Pro version ($1300) and the Expert version is $1,800. I'd
love to play with the simulations but can't justify the expense for a
hobby. The regular and Pro versions will let you set up constraints that
will move one part in an assembly when another is moved or rotated but
that's a static operation.

Mike

"Brent Burton" wrote in message
I tried Pro/Desktop when PTC had free downloads of it. The parametric
approach as well as the simulation of mechanical assemblies helped me
to easily design a steering linkage. I was impressed.

Alibre is interesting, and the price seems decent for the features. Does
it do similar mechanical assemblies that you can move?

(http://www.alibre.com).
| Fully parametric 3D CAD for less that $1,000 per seat. I see lots of
| suggestions for SolidWorks and SolidEdge but I think you'll find that
Alibre
| does almost everything they do for a small fraction of the price.
|
| I used to be a diehard AutoCAD user but Alibre completely blows AC
away for
| 3D solid modeling.
|
| Robert
|
| "James Holbrook" wrote in message
| Hi,
| Just getting started in metalworking and looking for some ideas on a
CAD
| program.
| I've used the CAD that came with eMachineShop and Rhino and like
both of
| them as they seem to be pretty logical in creating drawings.
| I've tried TurboCAD, PowerCAD, CadStd, 3D MAX Plus, BobCAD-CAM, 3DS
MAX 7