pyotr filipivich

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show "Peter Grey"
wrote back on Thu, 03 Feb 2005 01:42:23 GMT in
rec.crafts.metalworking :
Hi all,

I've just sheared the shear pin for the X power feed on my Gorton 8D.
Obviously, I'd like to replace it. I haven't pulled it out yet, but was
wondering if anyone knew what material this is likely to be. I'm assuming I
can just order a length of whatever it is and cut to size, without ordering
the Gorton 8D unobtanium shearing pin at $49.95...

Sheer pins are made of what ever will bear the load but still sheer off
when things go wrong.

Brass, mild steel, aluminum. Whatever you have handy.

(I still have a few brass pins with too much taper, too much chatter,
the usual first year student errors when turning small things down.)

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich.