Lurch

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 23:45:31 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
strung together this:

The normal kitchen drain plumbing should cope with two washing machine
wastes given that it will cope with a washing machine, dishwasher and
sink all draining at once. Although this should be uncommon anyway.

Well, probably not. For 2 large volume appliances such as washing
machines and dishwashers etc... you really want 2" wastes in all the
common runs otherwise you can end up with a wet floor if both machines
pump out at once. Most reasonably installed wastes will be 1.5" and
could even be 1.25" depending on how [un]well it was installed.

I've not got problems with mine, but of course it will depend on the
output delivery of the machines. Or is there a standard?

Although I haven't read the various byelaws and wot-not first hand as
I'm not a plumber by trade that's what I've always done as my Dad,
(who is a CORGI registered plumbing and heating engineer of some 30
odd years), fed me the information a couple of years ago. It always
seemed to make sense to me so that's what I did.

As a rule of thumb anything high output shouldn't really have much
more than itself and one other 'normal' waste connected to it if
you're doing the job properly. As you say, it depends on the exact
application. I suppose it's along the same lines as the current
1.5mm\2.5mm for ring circuits debate.
--

SJW