Unknown

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 17:11:57 -0800, "SteveB"
wrote:

,;
,;"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
egroups.com...
,; The group might be interested in reading this article....
,;
,; http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp..._young_drivers
,;
,;
,; Talking on a cell phone makes you drive like a retiree - even if
,; you're only a teen, a new study shows. A report from the University of
,; Utah says when motorists between 18 and 25 talk on cell phones, they
,; drive like elderly people - moving and reacting more slowly and
,; increasing their risk of accidents.
,;
,;more stuff snipped
,;
,;Thank you. I reported this once before, but couldn't cite the URL to the
,;article. I was severely chastized, and nearly beaten for suggesting such a
,;study took place, and was challenged by some moron to produce the URL. I am
,;aging, but still have enough active brain cells left to retain something I
,;read. I just don't have enough cells to categorize everything and have
,;instant recall. In the article I recall, it compares cell phone addicted
,;drivers to drunks, but may also have comparisons to the elderly. I just
,;think it is fairer to compare them to drunks than to us old farts. I see
,;more young people with a cell in their ear while driving than older drivers.

More info about that work.

WSJ Thursday Feb 3, 2005 page D5.

Title of article is "Phone Use Slows Driver Reaction" It compares cell
phone use while driving to aged drivers and to drunk drivers. (Your
aging memory still has a few cells functioning) Interesting was that
apparently it made no difference if the phone was hand held or not.
Guess that makes sense as the point is that talking on the phone is a
distraction. Of course some peoplw can't speak at all if they can't
wave their hands. ;-)

The original work as reported in the WSJ appeared in this winter's
issue of Human Factors, the quarterly journal of the Human Factors and
Ergonomic Society.

Profiles in Driver Distraction: Effects of Cell Phone Conversations on
Younger and Older Drivers, David L. Strayer and Frank A. Drews, 640
(Special Section)

This URL will take you to the index where the above reference is
located. I am not sure if you can find the entire article online.

http://www.hfes.org/Publications/TOC/2004index.html