N Cook

"DaveC" wrote in message
al.net...
Nice old toaster has one dead heat coil.

If the owner want to keep it, what are the options? Are breaks easily

spliced
with hi-temp crimp of some kind? Or is it best to rewind the coil with new
wire?

Thanks,

DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

from my tips file
http://www.divdev.fsnet.co.uk/tips2.htm

Hint for heater element repairs
The thin stainless steel strip found spot welded to multicell ni-cads
make good crimps for joining breaks in heater resistance wire.
Form a small length of this strip around a needle or something
similar to make a tight
spiral with enough clearance to go over doubled-up heater wire.Abraid
or file the cut ends
of the broken wire.Crimp into place with a double lever action crimper.
If there is an area of brittlised element around the break then cut out
and splice in a replacement section with
two such crimps.Such a repair to a hot-air paint stripper (indispensible
tool
in any electronics repair
toolkit ) has survived at least 50 hours

Said hot-air gun must have about 3 such joins now and 200 hours on the
clock.