Gunner

On 2 Feb 2005 11:09:31 -0800, wrote:

I dont have to go too far. I am moving it from Sugarland to Spring Tx
(from the SW side to the north side of Houston.

Far enough..For some reason I thought it was a few feet. My bad.

Since having to replace the nuts in a knee after the mill was driven
over a speed bump and the knee blew the nuts and dropped..I strongly
suggest making sure that the knee gibs are locked tight! and that an
approriate block of wood is placed between the quill and the spindle,
the spindle is down against the block of wood and locked as well.

Others will suggest losening the head and turning it upside down, but
Ive personally never found that to be necessary, nor do the vast
majority of the machine tool dealers that I know.

I personally like to put a block of wood UNDER the knee, and lower it
onto the block of wood so its resting there, then drop the spindle to
another block of wood...so the whole thing is solidly supported.
Lock all gibs etc.

But the advise others have given you is good too.

Whats your nose taper? B&S 9" The Indexes are good machines and
stiffer than Bridgeports. Much heavier too.

Gunner

" We have all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million
typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of
Shakespeare...Thanks to AOL and WebTv, we know this is not possible."