SQLit

"Kathy" wrote in message ...
We have exterior receptacles installed on front and back of the house. Our
city code adopts NEC 2002. We do and waterproof cover on the receptacles

but
not GFCI protection. Does the weather cover alone satisfies the code, or

we
need both cover and GFCI?
TIA

The only code that is relevant is the code when the home was built. Not what
may have been just adopted.

No the covers do not meet the requirement of a GFCI.

GFCI's have been required for some time for residences in certain places. I
was installing GFCI's for bathrooms, garages and outside recpts, in the
1970's. (code then here)

If you home was built in the 1970's you may already have them installed as a
breaker instead of a outlet which is the way it is done now.

Replacing the non GFCI protected outlets is easy and fairly inexpensive. You
will need an gfci outlet and new w/p cover. Sorry the way the gfci's are
made is different so your going to need an new cover.