Gerald Ross

J T wrote:

I've been using a cane for the last few weeks. Seems I ate
something from the local Taco Hell, and within a half-hour after, began
suffering from an upset somach. Which progressively got worse, and
lasted about a week. A case of intestional indigestion perhaps. Or
perhaps they changed the type of oil they cook with - when MacDonalds
changed their cooking oil, a lot of people had various reactions to it,
including a few quite severe. Moot point now, I don't eat anything
from there anymore.

Whatever it was, as a result, I seem to now have a disturbance of
my inner ear. And, as a result of that, now occassionally lose my
balance. Haven't fallen, but close a few times.

So, cane time. I had been planning on making one or three canes
when I got old and needed one, but the time to need one came way ahead
of schedule, and no canes made. Needed a cane. Now.

Cruised down to one of the local drugstores. The town is growing
like Hell, and among other things has 3 drugstores, 4 if you count one
in the new Wal-Mart just outside of town. I knew the drugstore had
canes, and I needed one. They had adjustable aluminum ones for around
$22, and I about got one of those. Figured I could fiddle a bit, until
I got it at the optimum length. The wood ones were only about $11, but
they were a bit long. Then I got considering, and decided I could cut a
wood one down to size.

So got a wood cane, "walnut" according to the tag. Yeah, right.
It was way long I thought, came above my waist, and my elbow was bent.
I'm 5'7" and figured I'd have to cut inches off of it, I figured short
enough to have my arm about straight when I was standing with the cane.
Wasn't going to cut it right off, wanted to get a handle on how much to
lop off first.

And, wound up leaving the cane as is. I don't think it'd be near as
comfortable using it, if it was shorter. Plus, standing, I can sorta
lean on it. Surprising, because I thought it would be uncomfortable
left long, now I figure it'd be uncomfortable if it was shorter.

It was invaluable for the first week or so. Now, the inner ear
disturbance has pretty much gone away, but still there. I don't really
need the cane any more, but it's a great confidence builder, because I
could still need it. Anyway, I still use it, just in case. I drive a
pickup, and put it in the cab the first week or so. That was pretty
much a PITA tho, it'd slide over, or down on the floor. Now I just put
it in the bed, and hook the handle in one of those holes in the topside
of the bed. Works great. Get out of the cab, grab the cane. Then just
stick it in the bed again, and into the cab. Much less hassle.

Like I said, I don't figure I still really need it, but I have
still lost my balance a bit in the house once or twice, fortunately not
outside, so still carry it. Just in case. Too bad I couldn't have
waited until I was old before I needed it, but that's life. Anyway,
that'll be 20-30 years in the future. Besides, with my knees as they
now are, especially the right one, it's very good insurance,
particularly going up and down steps.

Otherwise, basically, life is good.

JOAT
Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.
- David Fasold

I came into a couple of old, solid brass doorknobs. I made a
cane head out of one after shining it up. It looks ok,
probably would not work too well for its intended use, but
would make an awesome weapon since the shaft is heavy ash.
What I will really need is a brain cane.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Committees keep minutes and lose hours.