Lew Hartswick

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

"Peter Grey" wrote in message
nk.net...

So if I ask for a shear pin a good store will know what I'm talking about?
What is a shear pin made of?

Peter

Should be nothing more than mild steel, Peter. Check with a magnet to make
sure it's magnetic. If it is, anything that could be heat treated would
hardly act like a shear pin-----it would likely be too hard to function
properly. The whole idea behind shear pins is to let go to save other
components. You should be able to make the pin, but if it's a tapered one,
please describe it---could be I have one.

Harold

The ones on our lathes are brass. We have had to make a few. :-)
They are tapered, I think the same taper as a "taper pin".
...lew...