Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Peter Grey" wrote in message
nk.net...
So if I ask for a shear pin a good store will know what I'm talking about?
What is a shear pin made of?

It depends upon the application. My 6' Howse mower (bush hog) uses 1/2"
grade-5 steel bolts.

My 6" baby Atlas lathe uses zinc for some, and soft steel for others.

If there is significant "play" in the joint held by the pin, and the actions
on the joint are forceful and rapid, definite "work hardening" of a pin
could occur. In that case, it might be a good idea to use a non-ferrous pin
that is less likely to harden than might some steels.

Check out an outboard marine supply. They have shear pins in a number of
sizes. (for outboard engine propellers)

LLoyd