Mike Fritz

Kathy wrote:
We have exterior receptacles installed on front and back of the house. Our
city code adopts NEC 2002. We do and waterproof cover on the receptacles but
not GFCI protection. Does the weather cover alone satisfies the code, or we
need both cover and GFCI?
TIA

Kathy,

Is there a GFCI upstream? Standard electrical outlets can be protected
from a GFCI outlet if connected to the "LOAD" connection on the back of
the GFCI.

It may be that your outlets are connected to a GFCI breaker. You could
buy an inexpensive outlet tester which also has a GFCI checker. All
you'd have to do is plug it into the outlet in question and press the
button on the tester.

If the outlet in question is connected through a GFCI, the outlet will
lose power as the GFCI upstream trips. Now you get to find the GFCI that
was tripped.

I used this method to check the standard outlets outside the older house
I bought. I found one of them wasn't on a GFCI, so I changed it out for
a GFCI outlet.
--Mike