Wayne Whitney

Default Veneer plaster finish textures

I'm curious about different finish textures for veneer plaster on
gypsum blueboard. I've done a little plastering using a single coat
of unsanded veneer plaster (Diamond brand) with a smooth hard trowel
finish, but I found it quite difficult to get it really smooth. Using
a pinch of cream of tartar as a retarder helped somewhat.

Does a floated finish require using a sanded plaster for the finish
coat and/or using a two coat process? I'd like something with just a
little more texture than the smooth hard trowl finish, what would be
an appropriate float?

Thanks, Wayne