Dan Murphy

wrote in news:1107359529.785787.5410
@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I will be moving a Wells Index model 847 mill (vertical, Bridgeport
type knee mill) in the next several days. The move is pretty straight
forward. Basically it will consist of pulling it out of one garage,
lifting onto trailer, offloading from trailer and pushing it
approximately 10 ft into a garage. I have decided that the only easy /
safe way of doing this is with a forklift. Can anyone out there provide
some hints or advice to make this a safe easy move?

Check the top of the ram. There should be a drilled an tapped hole there.
It's for an eye bolt. Install an eye bolt and use a strap over the forks,
and through the eye bolt to lift it. Also swing the head up side down, put
a 4x4 block of wood on the table and run the knee up to the head, remove
all handles. Do not pick up a turret/knee mill from underneath. They are
top heavy and tip over easily. You can also use a hydraulic engine hoist to
lift it this way to get it out of the garage safely.

Dan