Grant Erwin

If this is really like a Bridgeport, then before moving it the head
should be rotated upside down and the knee raised to support it, with
a sheet of thin plywood between. I had to move mine through a 28" door
so I took the table off too (this was before the DRO was fitted). Pic:
http://www.tinyisland.com/images/mill03.jpg

A forklift is very commonly used and I've done this several times. I
do use 1/4" plywood "shims" between the forks and the bottom of the ram.
To do this, make sure the ram is set so it sticks out the same front & back.

GWE

wrote:

Tim Killian wrote:

Before the move, brace the head against the table with some stout
blocking to minimize stress on the column. If you are hiring a

rigger,

ask them for a lift operator who has some experience with this type

of

move. Height is going to be an issue with most garage doors.

wrote:

I will be moving a Wells Index model 847 mill (vertical, Bridgeport
type knee mill) in the next several days. The move is pretty

straight

forward. Basically it will consist of pulling it out of one garage,
lifting onto trailer, offloading from trailer and pushing it
approximately 10 ft into a garage. I have decided that the only

easy /

safe way of doing this is with a forklift. Can anyone out there

provide

some hints or advice to make this a safe easy move?

Thanks
Douglas

Tim

The height already has been take into account. Should anything be put
between the forks and the dovetail that the head is mounted to?