bumtracks

My fence & neighbor tale...
I had a tall healthy looking elderly one armed neighbor behind me tell me
quite loudly my bushes were sticking through my horz shadow box fencing onto
his property - he had walked into my garage while I was under a car with my
legs sticking out & quite greasy .... I instantly popped out and politely
apologized and said I'll fix it right now . Stopped what I was doing and
trimmed the bushes - some, very few small bushy limbs fell onto his
property - he returned and complained rudely I offered to come clean up -
No!. Maybe a yr or two later same ordeal - I asked to access his side of
fence, he said no - Told me I should get rid of that fence as it ruins his
view. again; Complained some clippings fell on his side.

He had a row of bushes along the fence on his side too ... they were always
poking though and I never would have even considered complaining until he
hires a guy with a pickup truck to wrap chain around all his bushes and a
running yank to remove all of his bushes, some had branches poking thru
the fence and they were yanking out lots of those horizontal cedar slats.
I got there about the time he was near finished and yelled at the guy to
stop - The neighbor comes out and grabbed a fence post and I swear if he had
two arms he would have yanked that post loose and pummeled me with it ..
he was angry as heck I complained to him about the fence damage ...that
ruins his view of my house & back yard.

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:51:51 GMT, "James Madison III" wrote:

I'm about to extend my backyard wood privacy fence. The fence now stops

at
the back of the house. I want to extend it 20 feet going towards the
street.

Since there is no old fence on the 20 feet of yard I'll be working on, I
need to make sure where the property line is. I have the diagram from

the
1993 survey which says there are iron rods in place.

Do you think I'm safe to just find the rod myself and pull a string tight
between it and the last post on the old fence?

Or should I pay for a survey? I've heard that you can get a survey a

little
cheaper by calling the original survey company and just have them do an
update.

Surveys around here run about $300, but having one is a sure way to
avoid any disputes later. I'd find the rods myself, then make sure
the fence is a couple inches inside the property line.