Jmagerl

I had the original surveyor come out to do it. He used a metal detector,
found the iron rods and staked them for $100. I could have done that. The
cost of the survey is dependant on how far back the surveyor has to go to
establish a reference. The original surveyor would know where the references
are. More importantly is knowing your communities regulations. I couldnt
extend my fence beyond the front of the house even though I could point to a
dozen houses that had done so. But than I had gotten a permit and the others
all eventually got letters asking them to demolish their fences. In addition
the codes required the fence to be 6 inches inside the property line with
the good side facing out.

"James Madison III" wrote in message

"Roby" wrote in message
James Madison III wrote:

I'm about to extend my backyard wood privacy fence. The fence now
stops
at the back of the house. I want to extend it 20 feet going towards
the
street.

(snip)

In my community, a side-yard fence may not extend beyond the back of the
house (toward the street). You ought to check with the local building
department.

Roby

The fence on the opposite side of my house (my fence) extends 30 feet past
the back of the house towards the street, also I see many other houses in
my
neighborhood have fences that extend past the back of the house so I guess
thought I was safe. I don't want to tear down though so I'll probably
check
the codes just in case.