Edwin Pawlowski

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
This seems strange to me. Why would the fence separating two properties
not be built *on* the boundary, straddling it, with the owners of the
adjacent properties sharing the cost? -- unless, as on one side of our
property, there is a drainage easement, in which case, I assume, no fence
could be built at all.

I think it is a safety issue to avoid disputes later.

For one thing, I'm not willing to share the cost. I don't want a fence and
it my neighbor does, it is on him 100%. If accidentally he strayed on my
property with it I'd not be happy about it.

In some neighborhoods, you are correct and both may share the cost. The
next problem is 20 years later when both have moved and new people reside
there and the fence needs repairs. One says OK, the other says No.