James Madison III

"Heathcliff" wrote in message
ups.com...

James Madison III wrote:
I'm about to extend my backyard wood privacy fence. The fence now

stops at
the back of the house. I want to extend it 20 feet going towards the
street.

Since there is no old fence on the 20 feet of yard I'll be working

on, I
need to make sure where the property line is. I have the diagram

from the
1993 survey which says there are iron rods in place.

Do you think I'm safe to just find the rod myself and pull a string

tight
between it and the last post on the old fence?

Or should I pay for a survey? I've heard that you can get a survey a

little
cheaper by calling the original survey company and just have them do

an
update.

Usually you put a fence a few inches inside the property line, just so
there is no issue about whose property it's on. Ideally you would find
both iron rods on that side (front corner and back corner) and run a
string between them -- that is the property line -- then put the fence
just inside that. The rods are often buried a couple inches deep but
are usually not too hard to find if you know generally where it should
be. Of course, they are easy to find with a metal detector!

Yes, I can see how doing a string between the front and back iron rods would
be best. I would have to destroy about 80 feet of fence to do that though

I think I'll tie on to the front rod, then tie on to the last fence post,
then go a few inches in just to be safe as you suggested. Thanks for the
info.