Dave P

"Set Square" wrote in message

I don't think there's likely to be a conflict. If the brickwork above the
windows is currently being held up by wooden window frames, it's very
unlikely that your structural engineer will say that you don't need
lintels
when using plastic windows instead. But, as others have said, you may
already have lintels even if you can't see them. My house was built with
concrete lintels on the inner skin (covered by plaster, of course) and
lengths of 4" angle supporting the outer brickwork. From the outside, all
you can see is one edge of this angle - and a lot of that is covered by
frame sealant!

Thanks; I clearly need to do some more investigating about the lintels (it
was an experienced joiner/builder eyeballing them who agreed that it was
more than likely they are absent, but some diagnosic surgery looks
necessary!)

As an aside... if the house WAS built with no lintels over the original
wooden-framed windows, could I get away with replacing them like with like,
or presumably would my BCO friend kick off at that one? And presumably I'd
still need to Acro everything up anyway while the work was ongoing?

Dave