Dave P

Default Which pro to seek advice from, pre-building-control?

I'm just about to embark on doing up my house; plans include stuff like:

- window replacements
- fitting window in existing wall
- forming doorway in a loadbearing wall
- removing part of a brickwall (is it loadbearing or not?)
- building stud partitions to form new room
- conversion of adjoining outhouses into living accomodation

I plan to do most of the work myself (I've done most of the tasks before so
am not particularly concerned about overstretching my abilities!) and will
be doing it on a Building Notice. However, I have some specific and
not-so-specific queries and want to get somebody in to check out my ideas
are sound and that I won't come a cropper when the BCO comes calling.

It's difficult to ask all the appropriate questions here, as there's a lot,
and I probably need something official to wave at Building Control.

It's things like - I suspect that the existing windows aren't supported by
lintels; is that so, and will this need sorting before I fit uPVC ones.....
what lintel spec do I need for my new doorway... what exactly will I need
to do to the outhouse to bring it up to standard, esp in terms of the
foundations, floor, roof structure.... etc etc

Question is, who should I employ to come and inspect the property so I can
ask these questions, and more? Is there one person? I suspect much of this
would fall within a structural engineer's remit, but others not. A surveyor
or quantity surveyor - not sure what they do? I don't really want to ask
Building Control directly what's needed as I suspect they'd give me all the
'ideal' stock answers, rather than 'real world' answers which would be
perfectly acceptable and would pass inspection but at a much lower cost.

Any thoughts much appreciated

Dave

Set Square

Dave P wrote:

[...]

In your position, I would employ a structural engineer to sort out the
structural aspects of apertures in structural walls and lintels for new
windows.

Despite what you say, I would then go and discuss what I wanted to do with a
BCO. In my experience, they are very helpful and don't generally give OTT
advice. After all, they - or one of their colleagues - have to sign it off
when done, and you're in a much stronger position if you have already
discussed it with them - particularly since you are doing it on a building
notice and not submitting plans for approval. I would still draw the plans,
and show them to the BCO. even though they're not being formally submitted,
you'll get a lot of good informal advice.

I would also speak to the planners - particularly if you are doing anything
which changes the external appearance, like extra doors and windows. Also
check whether or not the change of use of an out-house into living
accommodation is a planning issue.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Kevin Brady

An Architect will be able to advise on all matters of a building nature, from design and planning considerations to a working knowledge of domestic structures, current Building regulations and buiding methods.

--
KEVIN BRADY, Oxford
_____________________
"Set Square" wrote in message ...
Dave P wrote:

[...]

David M

Dave P wrote:
[...]

I'd tend to think that the lintels are hiding in there someplace, as a quick
and dirty test try drilling with a regular hammer drill and masonry bit,
roughly where you would expect them to be. If you start to struggle after
and inch or so, then odds are you've hit the lintel.

what lintel spec do I need for my new doorway... what exactly will I need

what exactly is the structure it will be supporting? As a startng point
have a quick look around lintel manufacturers and see wht they do for the
opening that you require...odds are there will be a standard product.

to do to the outhouse to bring it up to standard, esp in terms of the
foundations, floor, roof structure.... etc etc

Read the building regs...you'll need to do everything it says in them :-)
one of the main points being the insulation. The founds may also need
reinforcing, but this will require the current ones to be exposed so that
they can be exmained.

Question is, who should I employ to come and inspect the property so I can
ask these questions, and more? Is there one person? I suspect much of this
would fall within a structural engineer's remit, but others not. A surveyor

a structural engineer sounds like a good bet.

or quantity surveyor - not sure what they do? I don't really want to ask

a quantity surveyor will tell you how hmany lintels and brick you need and
eth rough cost, but he won't know the real structual info.

Building Control directly what's needed as I suspect they'd give me all the
'ideal' stock answers, rather than 'real world' answers which would be
perfectly acceptable and would pass inspection but at a much lower cost.

BCO's are not out to get you, talk to them for some general advice. If you
submit your plans to the bco for approval before you start all this then
there is less chance of them tripping you up later on.

If you want to do some background reading then I've seen a book along the
lines of "The builing regulations explained..." ans as a genersal intro to
some of the structural details see if you can find any books locally by
Chudley such as "construction technology".
Andrew Chesters

Dave P wrote:
[...]

Just to fully muddy the water, some surveyors' offices have departments
that deal with design work as well as the more 'expected' inspection
function. I used to work in just such a one. Another option would be
an architectural technician. These people tend to do the donkeywork
design, not the arty-farty stuff and would probably be cheaper.

Andrew

Andrew

Dave P

"Set Square" wrote in message
Dave P wrote:

I'm just about to embark on doing up my house; plans include stuff
like:

- window replacements
- fitting window in existing wall
- forming doorway in a loadbearing wall
- removing part of a brickwall (is it loadbearing or not?)
- building stud partitions to form new room
- conversion of adjoining outhouses into living accomodation

snip

Question is, who should I employ to come and inspect the property so
I can ask these questions, and more? Is there one person? I suspect
much of this would fall within a structural engineer's remit, but
others not. A surveyor or quantity surveyor - not sure what they do?
I don't really want to ask Building Control directly what's needed as
I suspect they'd give me all the 'ideal' stock answers, rather than
'real world' answers which would be perfectly acceptable and would
pass inspection but at a much lower cost.

Thank very much to everyone for their replies to this.

In your position, I would employ a structural engineer to sort out the
structural aspects of apertures in structural walls and lintels for new
windows.

I've just gone ahead and booked one!

Despite what you say, I would then go and discuss what I wanted to do with
BCO. In my experience, they are very helpful and don't generally give OTT
advice. After all, they - or one of their colleagues - have to sign it off
when done, and you're in a much stronger position if you have already
discussed it with them - particularly since you are doing it on a building
notice and not submitting plans for approval. I would still draw the
plans,
and show them to the BCO. even though they're not being formally
submitted,
you'll get a lot of good informal advice.

Sure, I do take your point, and will certainly talk to the BCO too before
doing anything (been there, done that, so I'm well aware of the pitfalls...)

What I'm not clear about is what notice will they take of an engineer's
specs: just for example, if the BCO were to tell me that I would need to fit
lintels before renewing the windows, and I have a report from a CEng
MIStructE engineer saying it's not necessary to do so, does that carry any
weight? Or do I just have to do as I'm told?!

I would also speak to the planners - particularly if you are doing
anything
which changes the external appearance, like extra doors and windows. Also
check whether or not the change of use of an out-house into living
accommodation is a planning issue.

I know they aren't bothered about the windows, but good point about the
outhouse: hadn't considered that possibility.

Dave

Set Square

Dave P wrote:

What I'm not clear about is what notice will they take of an
engineer's specs: just for example, if the BCO were to tell me that I
would need to fit lintels before renewing the windows, and I have a
report from a CEng MIStructE engineer saying it's not necessary to do
so, does that carry any weight? Or do I just have to do as I'm told?!

I don't think there's likely to be a conflict. If the brickwork above the
windows is currently being held up by wooden window frames, it's very
unlikely that your structural engineer will say that you don't need lintels
when using plastic windows instead. But, as others have said, you may
already have lintels even if you can't see them. My house was built with
concrete lintels on the inner skin (covered by plaster, of course) and
lengths of 4" angle supporting the outer brickwork. From the outside, all
you can see is one edge of this angle - and a lot of that is covered by
frame sealant!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Dave P

"Set Square" wrote in message

I don't think there's likely to be a conflict. If the brickwork above the
windows is currently being held up by wooden window frames, it's very
unlikely that your structural engineer will say that you don't need
lintels
when using plastic windows instead. But, as others have said, you may
already have lintels even if you can't see them. My house was built with
concrete lintels on the inner skin (covered by plaster, of course) and
lengths of 4" angle supporting the outer brickwork. From the outside, all
you can see is one edge of this angle - and a lot of that is covered by
frame sealant!

Thanks; I clearly need to do some more investigating about the lintels (it
was an experienced joiner/builder eyeballing them who agreed that it was
more than likely they are absent, but some diagnosic surgery looks
necessary!)

As an aside... if the house WAS built with no lintels over the original
wooden-framed windows, could I get away with replacing them like with like,
or presumably would my BCO friend kick off at that one? And presumably I'd
still need to Acro everything up anyway while the work was ongoing?

Dave

Set Square

Dave P wrote:

As an aside... if the house WAS built with no lintels over the
original wooden-framed windows, could I get away with replacing them
like with like, or presumably would my BCO friend kick off at that
one? And presumably I'd still need to Acro everything up anyway
while the work was ongoing?

Dave

I don't claim any specific expertise in this, but I doubt whether a BCO
would accept a replacement without a lintel. The original frames probably
have substantial ears which are built into the walls. It may be difficult to
replicate this with replacements. Wood rots, anyway!

AIUI, the new windows will have to meet current energy efficiency regs - so
are unlikely to be exactly like for like.

Don't know about Acros. Depends on window width and what else is being held
up by the brickwork over the window. Get your structural engineer to advise.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Andrew Chesters

Dave P wrote:
Thanks; I clearly need to do some more investigating about the lintels (it
was an experienced joiner/builder eyeballing them who agreed that it was
more than likely they are absent, but some diagnosic surgery looks
necessary!)

As an aside... if the house WAS built with no lintels over the original
wooden-framed windows, could I get away with replacing them like with like,
or presumably would my BCO friend kick off at that one? And presumably I'd
still need to Acro everything up anyway while the work was ongoing?

Dave

How old is your place? If relatively modern there could be Catnic (or
equiv) lintels in there. You'd see nothing from the outside...

Dave P

"Andrew Chesters" wrote in message
Dave P wrote:
Thanks; I clearly need to do some more investigating about the lintels
(it was an experienced joiner/builder eyeballing them who agreed that it
was more than likely they are absent, but some diagnosic surgery looks
necessary!)

As an aside... if the house WAS built with no lintels over the original
wooden-framed windows, could I get away with replacing them like with
like, or presumably would my BCO friend kick off at that one? And
presumably I'd still need to Acro everything up anyway while the work was
ongoing?

How old is your place? If relatively modern there could be Catnic (or
equiv) lintels in there. You'd see nothing from the outside...

Mebbe, yes... think I'll try some tentative drilling tomorrow!

Age: good question - I'd guess at 1950s or something? But actually, out of
interest, how do you find out the age of a property? The deeds I've got
don't help; they seem to 'start' at the point where the property was sold
off by the council.

Dave