Set Square

Dave P wrote:

What I'm not clear about is what notice will they take of an
engineer's specs: just for example, if the BCO were to tell me that I
would need to fit lintels before renewing the windows, and I have a
report from a CEng MIStructE engineer saying it's not necessary to do
so, does that carry any weight? Or do I just have to do as I'm told?!

I don't think there's likely to be a conflict. If the brickwork above the
windows is currently being held up by wooden window frames, it's very
unlikely that your structural engineer will say that you don't need lintels
when using plastic windows instead. But, as others have said, you may
already have lintels even if you can't see them. My house was built with
concrete lintels on the inner skin (covered by plaster, of course) and
lengths of 4" angle supporting the outer brickwork. From the outside, all
you can see is one edge of this angle - and a lot of that is covered by
frame sealant!
--
Cheers,
Set Square