terry l. ridder

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, James Holbrook wrote:

Hi,
Just getting started in metalworking and looking for some ideas on a CAD
program.
I've used the CAD that came with eMachineShop and Rhino and like both of them
as they seem to be pretty logical in creating drawings.
I've tried TurboCAD, PowerCAD, CadStd, 3D MAX Plus, BobCAD-CAM, 3DS MAX 7 and
a few others but weren't happy. (read.. I couldn't make drawings as readily
as with Rhino. IE I couldn't select something and change dimentions of the
object but had to delete it and do again.)
Maybe I just need to get CAD books or training to be happy with the other CAD
programs.

Any ideas?

if you are willing to run linux there are several cad programs available
for free. the one of the best cad programs is brl-cad. developed by the
ballastic research laboratory it is now an open-source project hosted on
sourceforge.net. http://brlcad.org

another cad program is qcad. it is free. debian linux distribution
includes it.
more information on qcad is at http://www.ribbonsoft.com
more information on debian is at http://www.debian.org

Thanks