DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Waynemak wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .

[ ... ]

The Nichols Miller is bigger by some amount..but still not huge.
Perhaps the size of the average small desk. I know some here have
them, perhaps they can give you some dimensions?

My Nichols is 36" from the wall to "Y" axis handle and requires about 48" of
width to have full movement of table, more space on the "x" axis is good if
you don't like bashing your fingers. My Nichols is close to the wall so
releasing the draw bar is a bit tight, but I have lots of room for the "x"
axis. Love the little machine, I do as much work on it as my vertical mill.
solid machine that is not very heavy (about 1250 pounds), east to move and a
low center of gravity.

I'm glad that you can measure the machine's footprint. Mine is
too closed in by other things. To operate it, I have to take the engine
hoist out through the garage door to gain full access. And I went
through the manual and found no documentation on the size and work
footprint.

He older version comes with a pair of pulleys which have four
grooves -- two of each size for parallel belts -- and to get the other
two speeds, you have to remove the pulleys and exchange them. For that,
you need more room behind the machine.

At the first opportunity, I acquired a set of five-speed pulleys
from a later version and machined up the necessary spindle adaptor to
use them there. (The motor end was the right size, but the spindle on
the newer versions is larger than on the older ones.) I documented that
operation on one of the sub-pages of my web page about them.

But it is a very nice machine for many operations.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564