Andrew Chesters

Dave P wrote:
I'm just about to embark on doing up my house; plans include stuff like:

- window replacements
- fitting window in existing wall
- forming doorway in a loadbearing wall
- removing part of a brickwall (is it loadbearing or not?)
- building stud partitions to form new room
- conversion of adjoining outhouses into living accomodation

I plan to do most of the work myself (I've done most of the tasks before so
am not particularly concerned about overstretching my abilities!) and will
be doing it on a Building Notice. However, I have some specific and
not-so-specific queries and want to get somebody in to check out my ideas
are sound and that I won't come a cropper when the BCO comes calling.

It's difficult to ask all the appropriate questions here, as there's a lot,
and I probably need something official to wave at Building Control.

It's things like - I suspect that the existing windows aren't supported by
lintels; is that so, and will this need sorting before I fit uPVC ones.....
what lintel spec do I need for my new doorway... what exactly will I need
to do to the outhouse to bring it up to standard, esp in terms of the
foundations, floor, roof structure.... etc etc

Question is, who should I employ to come and inspect the property so I can
ask these questions, and more? Is there one person? I suspect much of this
would fall within a structural engineer's remit, but others not. A surveyor
or quantity surveyor - not sure what they do? I don't really want to ask
Building Control directly what's needed as I suspect they'd give me all the
'ideal' stock answers, rather than 'real world' answers which would be
perfectly acceptable and would pass inspection but at a much lower cost.

Any thoughts much appreciated

Dave

Just to fully muddy the water, some surveyors' offices have departments
that deal with design work as well as the more 'expected' inspection
function. I used to work in just such a one. Another option would be
an architectural technician. These people tend to do the donkeywork
design, not the arty-farty stuff and would probably be cheaper.

Andrew

Andrew