Set Square

Dave P wrote:

I'm just about to embark on doing up my house; plans include stuff
like:

- window replacements
- fitting window in existing wall
- forming doorway in a loadbearing wall
- removing part of a brickwall (is it loadbearing or not?)
- building stud partitions to form new room
- conversion of adjoining outhouses into living accomodation

I plan to do most of the work myself (I've done most of the tasks
before so am not particularly concerned about overstretching my
abilities!) and will be doing it on a Building Notice. However, I
have some specific and not-so-specific queries and want to get
somebody in to check out my ideas are sound and that I won't come a
cropper when the BCO comes calling.

It's difficult to ask all the appropriate questions here, as there's
a lot, and I probably need something official to wave at Building
Control.

It's things like - I suspect that the existing windows aren't
supported by lintels; is that so, and will this need sorting before I
fit uPVC ones..... what lintel spec do I need for my new doorway...
what exactly will I need to do to the outhouse to bring it up to
standard, esp in terms of the foundations, floor, roof structure....
etc etc

Question is, who should I employ to come and inspect the property so
I can ask these questions, and more? Is there one person? I suspect
much of this would fall within a structural engineer's remit, but
others not. A surveyor or quantity surveyor - not sure what they do?
I don't really want to ask Building Control directly what's needed as
I suspect they'd give me all the 'ideal' stock answers, rather than
'real world' answers which would be perfectly acceptable and would
pass inspection but at a much lower cost.

Any thoughts much appreciated

Dave

In your position, I would employ a structural engineer to sort out the
structural aspects of apertures in structural walls and lintels for new
windows.

Despite what you say, I would then go and discuss what I wanted to do with a
BCO. In my experience, they are very helpful and don't generally give OTT
advice. After all, they - or one of their colleagues - have to sign it off
when done, and you're in a much stronger position if you have already
discussed it with them - particularly since you are doing it on a building
notice and not submitting plans for approval. I would still draw the plans,
and show them to the BCO. even though they're not being formally submitted,
you'll get a lot of good informal advice.

I would also speak to the planners - particularly if you are doing anything
which changes the external appearance, like extra doors and windows. Also
check whether or not the change of use of an out-house into living
accommodation is a planning issue.
--
Cheers,
Set Square