Dave P

Default Which pro to seek advice from, pre-building-control?

I'm just about to embark on doing up my house; plans include stuff like:

- window replacements
- fitting window in existing wall
- forming doorway in a loadbearing wall
- removing part of a brickwall (is it loadbearing or not?)
- building stud partitions to form new room
- conversion of adjoining outhouses into living accomodation

I plan to do most of the work myself (I've done most of the tasks before so
am not particularly concerned about overstretching my abilities!) and will
be doing it on a Building Notice. However, I have some specific and
not-so-specific queries and want to get somebody in to check out my ideas
are sound and that I won't come a cropper when the BCO comes calling.

It's difficult to ask all the appropriate questions here, as there's a lot,
and I probably need something official to wave at Building Control.

It's things like - I suspect that the existing windows aren't supported by
lintels; is that so, and will this need sorting before I fit uPVC ones.....
what lintel spec do I need for my new doorway... what exactly will I need
to do to the outhouse to bring it up to standard, esp in terms of the
foundations, floor, roof structure.... etc etc

Question is, who should I employ to come and inspect the property so I can
ask these questions, and more? Is there one person? I suspect much of this
would fall within a structural engineer's remit, but others not. A surveyor
or quantity surveyor - not sure what they do? I don't really want to ask
Building Control directly what's needed as I suspect they'd give me all the
'ideal' stock answers, rather than 'real world' answers which would be
perfectly acceptable and would pass inspection but at a much lower cost.

Any thoughts much appreciated

Dave