On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 17:20:45 GMT, Bubba wrote:

As a long established HVAC contractor I can tell you that you need to
find a "good" company and then trust them.

Bubba,

The problem is finding that "good" company. Part of doing that is knowing
enough about the subject so that when I am talking to the incompetent or
the crook, I can recognize him for what he is.

I like to buy quality. Many years ago, I got 3 prices on a major HVAC job
and selected the highest price because that contractor was able to convince
me that he knew what he was doing and that I needed the more costly duct
design that he proposed. I was never sorry about that choice. Of course,
I want to save as much money as I sensibly can, but buying junk equipment
or hiring a "junk" contractor is not sensible.

Personally, I think most
all of the equipment out there is crap. All the manufacturers suffer
the same problem. Get a product out there and build it as
inexpensively as you can. Sometimes, quality of that product suffers.
Like I say, find a good company.

In a later post you talked about Lennox equipment. Are there others you
think I should steer clear of or consider favorably because of quality,
serviceability/cost, performance, etc?

I live in Southeastern VA (near the bay) and desire year around humidity
control, expecially during those months when little to no heat or
airconditioning is required.

Check with friends, neighbors, co
workers and anyone you come in contact with.

I am building a house in a new (to me) area, so I won't have good local
contacts.

Even call the local
Bryant, American Standard, etc warehouses and talk to the guys at the
counter. They are the ones that know most of us and they are also the
ones that know which companies to use and which ones to steer clear
of. Id have to recommend getting a 10 yr parts and labor warranty too
because no matter what you get installed it will break over the next
ten years and it WILL pay for itself.

Thanks. Will do.