Ron

Thanks to all who replied. I think I'm going with type I copper.

John, your advise was very useful and I appreciate the time you took to
respond. All my piping is copper, so the iron pipe isn't an issue. I do
intend to have the stops that have not yet been replaced, replaced with
steel-braided risers as well as bringing the plumbing up to code. One of the
plumbers who will be giving me a bid also motioned standpipes to reduce
water hammer.

Effi, code in this area doesn't allow PVC, but thanks for your advise.
Ron

"Ron" wrote in message
m...
I need to repipe my house. I have plumbing running through slab and it
developed a leak. Rather than repair the pipe in the slab and risking
another leak, I'm going to abandon the slab plumbing and run pipe in the
walls and ceilings. I've heard some contractors tell me that I should use
type 'L' pipe while others tell me type 'M' is fine. Can anyone tell me

the
advantages and disadvantages of either pipe and their experiences with
repiping a house.
any help appreciated.
Ron