Bubba

On 30 Jan 2005 05:36:47 -0800, "Lesley" wrote:

Isn't that like asking the fox to recommend a type of lock to use for
the hen house doors?

I only ask because I too will be making a choice this summer. I have
no central heating system in my house and after the winter is over and
I can think clearly, I will have a system installed in my house. No
way can I see letting the guy who is going to earn money from the job
make the decisions about what I should or shouldn't have. That is just
a blatant conflict of interest! The original poster asked the same
question I'm asking now--isn't there some industry standard information
sources that a person can read to learn about each choice and make
their own decision--at least about what TYPE of system to put in (i.e.,
baseboard, radiant, forced air, etc.).??

Lesley

As a long established HVAC contractor I can tell you that you need to
find a "good" company and then trust them. Personally, I think most
all of the equipment out there is crap. All the manufacturers suffer
the same problem. Get a product out there and build it as
inexpensively as you can. Sometimes, quality of that product suffers.
Like I say, find a good company. Check with friends, neighbors, co
workers and anyone you come in contact with. Even call the local
Bryant, American Standard, etc warehouses and talk to the guys at the
counter. They are the ones that know most of us and they are also the
ones that know which companies to use and which ones to steer clear
of. Id have to recommend getting a 10 yr parts and labor warranty too
because no matter what you get installed it will break over the next
ten years and it WILL pay for itself.
Note: Personally, I dont have much faith in the Better Business
Bureau. Companies like myself can pay them to be a "Preferred Vendor"
with them. I think that is bull****. I worked for a company for a
couple years that did just that. They were the worst pack of thieves
and the BBB rated them highly. Utter nonsense.
Good Luck,
Bubba