Waynemak

My Nichols is 36" from the wall to "Y" axis handle and requires about 48" of
width to have full movement of table, more space on the "x" axis is good if
you don't like bashing your fingers. My Nichols is close to the wall so
releasing the draw bar is a bit tight, but I have lots of room for the "x"
axis. Love the little machine, I do as much work on it as my vertical mill.
solid machine that is not very heavy (about 1250 pounds), east to move and a
low center of gravity.
"Gunner" wrote in message
On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 08:47:38 -0800, Felice Luftschein and Nicholas
Carter wrote:

I just used mine to put a 3/8" deep, 3/8" wide slot in aluminum in a
single pass using the lever feed on the x axis. I have a 1/3hp motor
on mine and it slowed down a little, but basically just chewed
through. This was using a staggered tooth milling cutter.

I added leadscrews to my y and z axis so I could position things
exactly. I used it to do a whole bunch of gears as well, great for
making gears with a CNC dividing head. Mine is the (PM?) that has the
30 taper head, I think it is probably better (heavier duty) than the
one with the smaller collet head.

I think these machines are a bargain at the prices they go for used.
If you can, try and find one that has the riser block, you will like
the extra headroom.

If anyone has a spare riser block, I'd like to buy one!

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 03:10:17 GMT, "Peter Grey"
wrote:

Hi all,

I know Barker mills are used in slotting operations, but I'm wondering
what
else they can handle. I would love a small mill to cut .25" wide slots
.50"
deep in aluminum, and to do some light facing of aluminum pieces 2" wide.
don't need high precision.

Can the Barker PM handle this? I don't know if this would be a piece of
cake or impossible for this little unit. I've never run a horizontal
mill
but the size is about right for my dinky shop, and could a great
complement
to my vertical.

Peter

The Nichols Miller is bigger by some amount..but still not huge.
Perhaps the size of the average small desk. I know some here have
them, perhaps they can give you some dimensions?

Gunner

"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown