On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 16:31:49 -0500, "George" george@least wrote:

"Jim Laumann" wrote in message
.. .
HI

I have a carbide tipped 10" blade which is causing some "burned" marks
on wood. It occurs when I'm ripping, and have to stop to reposition
my hands. As long as I keep the wood in motion, things are ok.

Seems to me I read something about using oven cleaner to remove
the build up. Can any one confirm?

Doesn't have to be that harsh an alkali - use something like TSP -90 wall
cleaner, or a dilute version sold as "Simple Green" is good as well.
Non-aluminum plate big enough to hold the blade - plastic at my house -
solution to cover.
Five minutes and perhaps a run at the worst crap with a toothbrush, then a
rinse and dry.

5 gallon plastic bucket. stack the blades with layers of mesh non-slip
pad between them. warm the solution. washing soda works fine. 15
minutes or so and scrub a bit with a nylon brush. dry and store.