Felice Luftschein and Nicholas Carter

I just used mine to put a 3/8" deep, 3/8" wide slot in aluminum in a
single pass using the lever feed on the x axis. I have a 1/3hp motor
on mine and it slowed down a little, but basically just chewed
through. This was using a staggered tooth milling cutter.

I added leadscrews to my y and z axis so I could position things
exactly. I used it to do a whole bunch of gears as well, great for
making gears with a CNC dividing head. Mine is the (PM?) that has the
30 taper head, I think it is probably better (heavier duty) than the
one with the smaller collet head.

I think these machines are a bargain at the prices they go for used.
If you can, try and find one that has the riser block, you will like
the extra headroom.

If anyone has a spare riser block, I'd like to buy one!

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 03:10:17 GMT, "Peter Grey"
wrote:

Hi all,

I know Barker mills are used in slotting operations, but I'm wondering what
else they can handle. I would love a small mill to cut .25" wide slots .50"
deep in aluminum, and to do some light facing of aluminum pieces 2" wide. I
don't need high precision.

Can the Barker PM handle this? I don't know if this would be a piece of
cake or impossible for this little unit. I've never run a horizontal mill
but the size is about right for my dinky shop, and could a great complement
to my vertical.

Peter