Will

Jim:

I have used Varsol - from Home Hardware or Home Depot. It cleans a lot
off immediately. I just wipe the blade down as best I am able getting
everything off the teeth edges.

For what is left - I clean the blade right on the saw as follows...

I use the Paper towel like shop towels - blue coloured -- since they are
quite tough, and a tongue-depressor-like stick of wood.

1. Unplug the saw. :-)
3. Wet down a shop towel with Varsol and rotate through the blade
cleaning the sides as much as possible. Wipe with a fine brass brush and
re-clean at this stage if need be - it will make cleaning the teeth go
faster.
2. Using a thin piece of wood 1/8 " (3mm) or less -- wrap a torn off
piece of paper shop towel around the end two or three times -- it should
still lay flat on the stick. (Cut the piece of towel with scissors if
you are a neat freak or like precision. :-) )
3. Apply Varsol to the piece of paper shop towel on the stick - soak it
good.
4. Swipe across each tooth till it cleans up. Try tests Test working in
each direction ( up and down , across , rotating etc.) till you find the
method that tears the towel the least on this particular blade -- and
then clean the rest of the teeth in a similar manner.
5. For stubborn scale and baked on gum a thumbnail or brass brush should
scrape it off after Varsol has softened it.
6. Give a final clean up with the Varsol soaked rag
7. Test

It usually takes 5- 10 min for a rip (24 tooth) blade, 10 to 15 min for
a 40 tooth General Purpose and 15 min or a bit more for a 50-80 tooth
blade.

---------
Will

Jim Laumann wrote:
HI

I have a carbide tipped 10" blade which is causing some "burned" marks
on wood. It occurs when I'm ripping, and have to stop to reposition
my hands. As long as I keep the wood in motion, things are ok.

Seems to me I read something about using oven cleaner to remove
the build up. Can any one confirm?

Thanks

Jim