Eric R Snow

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 16:34:05 -0500, "Joe"
wrote:

I know these work well on flat or almost flat surfaces, but he is doing
the
drilling in a rathe small tube. These devices don't really work well in
those circumstances.

Joe, I disagree. Im my experience the cogsdill burraway tools work
well when deburring holes that go into or out of a curved surface. In
fact, my first experienvc with these tools was using them to deburr
holes in tubing.

Eric,

I can agree that they work well on some tubing, but I think this application
is a rather small tube. In other words, the ID curve is probably small
enough to make the deburring tool hit only on the "sides" of the hole but
not the "top" and "bottom" if viewing the tube horizontally.

The cutter works on a spring action if we are both talking about the same
device... And more pressure is applied to the thin wall aluminum tube when
it is sprung in farther as would happen on a tight radius of a small
diameter tube...

Then again, I've been known to be wrong often so all of my theory-thinking
above may be worthless. grin

Regardless, I think the best bet to deburr the inside of a small tube is to
run a precision reamer or drill down the tube from the open end. As long as
that tool is .001 to .002 oversized as compared to the second tube that will
be inserted into the first that was drilled, you will get a great fit and
all the burrs should disappear more quickly.

That method will work on any tube that has a semi-smooth interior as long as
you can get a reamer or drill with an extension long enough... And it won't
really matter what the burr size is so a feed controlled drilling machine
might not even be necessary.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
http://www.autodrill.com
http://www.multi-spindle-heads.com

V8013

My eBay: http://tinyurl.com/3n8gj

Hey Joe, not to be contrary or anything but I just finished a job that
had .244" dia holes going through a .500 dia aluminum part. Deburring
the hole with a regular countersink doesn't work bery well. But the
spring loaded Cogsdill Burraway worked great. The secret is using a
tool that fits the drilled closely and messing with the setscrew that
controls tension on the blade. These joles were on the O.D. of the
part. I.D. holes can be harder to deburr right so your suggestion of
having as small a burr as possible by controlling the feed is a good
one. I have rounded the first cutting edge on the Burraway tool. This
is so I can deburr the inside of the hole without doing anything the
the outside. Sometimes the jobs I do require minimal visible edge
breaks for cosmetic reasoms.
ERS