Quincy

thanks for the info

Qnc

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
Quincy wrote:

Jeff, where do you get your carvable Mammouth ivory?
what is the color like?
is it similar to Elephant ivory?

thanks
Qnc

The last batch I bought came from Boone Trading Post in Washington
state. You can find them on my little page of ivory related links:

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/t...ory_Links.html

I haven't noticed any difference in the workability of mammoth ivory
compared to elephant ivory, but a Dremel, Fordham or similar high speed
tool sure beats hand carving during the roughing stages.

The colors I've seen range from classic elephant ivory white to an
yellowish tan which I've heard results from long exposure to minerals in
the soil those mammoth tusks have been buried in all those years.

HTH,

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia