IMM

Default Flext tap Connectors

"Simon Avery" wrote in message
PoP wrote:

Hello PoP

P| It has to be said that I'm still not a plastic convert, but
P| at least I've broken the ice, and from here on will be less
P| inclined to ignore pushfit.

I think it's wizzy!

Seriously. Solder just annoys the hell outta me and is a fire risk.
Compression is Ok, but tends to leak. Pushfit just, well, works.

I've replumbed pretty much my whole house this year (was only going to
do the bathroom, but took the opportunity to replace various crap bits
whilst I was there). Most of it now in speedfit fittings and pipe. The
pipe especially is a major plus for running under the floor. Five
minutes to lay pipe from one end of the house to the other, with two
boards up. Ace!

So this pipe is unlagged and laying on the bottom of a floor void?

I had one plastic joint that weeped because I hadn't pushed the pipe
in far enough. One existing end-feed solder fitting broke when I
nudged the pipe because it hadn't been soldered cleanly, and numerous
compressions leaked.

That is because you can't do soldered joints and used cheap compression
joints.

Some folks mutter about the cost of plastic fittings, but I don't
think it's much more expensive considering that with the plastic pipe
you need far, far fewer fittings on a typical install. Much faster
too.

Well when you have the pipe laying on the bottom of a floor void.

Snip with secateurs (they work great for 15 and 22mm, you don't
need the special cutters), insert liner, push into fitting - perfect
joint in under 5 seconds every time. A really good DIY product.

That said, some of the plastic fittings aren't as good as Speedfit or
Hep20, I don't know if I'd trust them as much.

Speedfit are way down the list of fittings, as they are all plastic with
plastic inserts. Marley equator and Osma Gold are better.

This sort of piping is banned in the USA because of catastrophic failures.

http://www.polybutylene.com/poly.html