Sunworshipper

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 11:52:37 -0500, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Sunworshipper wrote:

I've played with rose wood before. Is it close to that?

Not in my opinion...

I could go on... Say if a elephant dies naturally , what percentage
of the tusk is solid ?

There's a cone shaped hole starting at the back of the tusk, roughly
half the tusk diameter at the back end. I'm not sure just how far up the
tusk that hole goes, but about a third of the way up it would be my guess.

Does ivory have a really good function other
than decorative except say combs and such before plastic?

I'm stuck trying to think of one...

Is it more
like plastic than wood?

I don't think it's really much like either. One major difference between
any plastic I've worked with is that ivory will take a lot of heat.
You can jamb a red hot poker against a piece of ivory and it'll scarcely
leave a mark. Most plastics would melt or burn if you try that on them.

Can it be turned easily in a lathe?

Yes, quite nicely.

Can it be
glued together like for a chess board?

Yes, but more likely glued *onto* something like a piece of wooden board.

A lot of pretty large decorative ivory pieces are coming out of China
these days which aren't carved from solid ivory. They are made from lots
of thin pieces of ivory tiled onto a wooden core, with the joints worked
into the decorative carving and engraving on them so they're barely
noticed at a quick glance.

I've seen 4 foot long "tusks" made that way, which must have had more
than a hundred ivory tiles covering them.

ok, I'll stop. Just curious.

Thas OK...As long as your not a cat. G

Jeff

Cats? The only pet that I bought was fish.

You where mentioning collection. I've had a number of kinds and they
always got ripped, so I gave up. Even the matches ! & pictures.

Thanks that will do. For now.

But, one would think that if driven towards extinction that knowledge
of the species would be known.

I'm still trying to guess how much it would cost (in reality) to make
rough chess figures with al & copper (or other color combinations) on
a CNC. An hour? 7mins.?
I've thought of doing it manually , but it would be cool to have the
rough parts to customize yourself at your leisure while still being
able to play.
With myself of course , but I have an idea and not a set to check it
out on. like +- or -+ and ) I...
Last time I tried an online chess thing, the opponent lied of his
skill.