Oh yeah, and then there is this gem from the OP.....posted without
further comment.

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: (Matt Morgan)
Date: 24 Aug 2004 06:51:29 -0700
Subject: Compressor start relay

Sorry if this is the wrong newsgroup for this question.....

I have a Kenmore model 106.8590581, whose compressor start relay burnt
up. FSP part no 1105046.

Looking around last night, it appears that they just plain old stopped
making this part. I did find one site that had one...... for

$175!!!!!!!

Jeezy Weezy..... it's just a darn relay.

So... 2 questions:

1) Anyone know a place to get hard to find/obsolete parts?
2) Could a start relay for a compressor with similar electrical
characteristics be used instead? I know it wouldn't fit exactly where
the old one did, but for some reason I have to think this darn relay
isn't as complex as the space shuttle.

Any comments welcome.

Matt
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
From: (Matt Morgan)
Date: 30 Aug 2004 16:48:47 -0700

OK All...

Got the new start relay (took the old one apart, completely charred
inside).

Hooked it all back up, and all that happens is the start relay clicks
on and off, on and off.

Reviewing the board for similar problems, I've found 3 steps to take
from he

1) Replace run capacitor.
2) Buy a "hard start" kit to squeeze maybe another year out of the
thing.
3) Call the dump to come pick it up.

I left my ohmmeter at work, so no way to test the cap tonight. Just
thought I'd see if anyone wants to place any bets on how this turns
out.

Option #2 is not something I will consider, BTW

Thanks
Matt
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Matt Morgan Aug 30 2004, 5:33 pm
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: (Matt Morgan)
Date: 30 Aug 2004 17:33:27 -0700

Whoops.

Sorry folks, there was a 4th possibility not even counted upon. Not
even Sheriff Obie considered it.

4. Stupid homeowner who has no business messing with compressors,
start relays or capacitors..... realizes that he hooked the new start
relay up wrong.
Fridge is cooling now.

Thanks all, for your help and comments!!!!!!!!