Jeff P.

I meant to say...windows vs mac...DOH

--
Jeff P.

"A new study shows that licking the sweat off a frog
can cure depression. The down side is, the minute
you stop licking, the frog gets depressed again." - Jay Leno

Check out my woodshop at: www.sawdustcentral.com

"Jeff P." wrote in message
I'd hardly consider running a few safety programs "constant attention".

If
you were to use your car as often as you use your computer it wouldn't

last
a year. Let's not get into a windows vs PC war here.

--
Jeff P.

"A new study shows that licking the sweat off a frog
can cure depression. The down side is, the minute
you stop licking, the frog gets depressed again." - Jay Leno

Check out my woodshop at: www.sawdustcentral.com

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 09:11:58 -0800, Gino wrote:
On 26 Jan 2005 16:52:27 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

Sounds like the 500 dollar Mac Mini is a perfect solution for you

then.
It. Just. Works. I work on computers all day, and it's nice to come
home to something that isn't Windows and needing constant attention.

Why does your Windows require constant attention?

Mine doesn't, as it's turned off. The "Friends and family support plan
from hell" systems that I deal with, do.

I have two XP systems one Home, one Pro, both used almost 24/7.
One is 5 years old the other 2 years old and I have not had a single

problem
Windows wise with either.

So, you are immune from spyware, inherently insecurely open ports,
viruses, and the BSOD? That's...incredible.

I have a few maintance utilities that run during the night, every

night.
Nortons, Diskeeper, and a couple others and my systems run smooth.

I guess I'd call all of that an example of "needing constant attention".

These are full load heavy use machines, 2 CD burners, 2 DVD burners,

600Gigs of
harddrive between them.
The newer machine see's constant almost daily installation of new

utilities
(even dangerous shareware and freeware) and games most of which are

then
removed
soon after. I haven't needed to use rollback or my Ghost backups yet.

As long as you're happy with your definition of success, that's great,

but
it seems like a lot of screwing around, which is my whole point.

But I've always have been lucky with computers.
At least 16 internal and 3 external harddrives in the last ten years

and
not a
single one has failed. I have a buddy who had 3 fail last year costing

his about
25 hours of lost work.

1. Better backups.
2. Clean power. He needs a UPS and a stack of CD-R's.