Owen Lowe

In article , "George" george@least
wrote:

Any edge can scrape, presented either broadly in the traditional definition,
or narrowly. The various tools named scrapers only remove one unknown from
the equation by providing a stable orientation for the edge.

Hi George. My impression is that you're darned near the closest
participant we've got to Mike Darlow with his technical view of turning.
So, in that light I ask this question:

Would the bevel angle on the underside of a scraper affect the surface
quality achieved? The bevel acts as support for the edge as well as
establishing the clearance angle behind(under) the edge. In other words,
would it make any difference to the surface finish scraping with an edge
formed by an 85 degree angle vs. a 60 degree angle?

Remaining in this line of thought, consider a bench plane and the mouth
opening for the iron. The front of the mouth supports the wood and helps
keep the cut from becoming a tear in the grain and running ahead of the
iron's edge. I wonder if some sort of scraper design could be devised
such that there's a hood just above the scraper edge that might serve
the same purpose. (Something along the lines of the Proforme or other
shielded hollowing cutters.)

as 100% Americanism." -- Huey P. Long