Martin H. Eastburn

Sunworshipper wrote:

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 19:20:21 -0500, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Quincy wrote:

Jeff, where do you get your carvable Mammouth ivory?
what is the color like?
is it similar to Elephant ivory?

thanks
Qnc

The last batch I bought came from Boone Trading Post in Washington
state. You can find them on my little page of ivory related links:

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/t...ory_Links.html

I haven't noticed any difference in the workability of mammoth ivory
compared to elephant ivory, but a Dremel, Fordham or similar high speed
tool sure beats hand carving during the roughing stages.

The colors I've seen range from classic elephant ivory white to an
yellowish tan which I've heard results from long exposure to minerals in
the soil those mammoth tusks have been buried in all those years.

HTH,

Jeff

I give up , do you want to talk about this stuff?

I've only seen it , what is it like? Is it oily? Splits like wood?

Web sites and books never seem to go where I want...

How close do teeth, bone, horn, antler, ivory, ect. from different
animals relate to each other in hardness and or grain?

How does ivory grow? Does it hurt the animals to cut it off before
others kill it other than not having what it should? Do elephants
grow them every year? Do porcupines really eat the antlers when they
fall off?

From the sites I've seen so far they seem cheap enough. How many
teeth does a sperm whale have ? 23 , 46 , 60 ?

I've played with rose wood before. Is it close to that?

I could go on... Say if a elephant dies naturally , what percentage
of the tusk is solid ? Does ivory have a really good function other
than decorative except say combs and such before plastic? Is it more
like plastic than wood? Can it be turned easily in a lathe? Can it be
glued together like for a chess board?

ok, I'll stop. Just curious.

If it splits like wood it is green ivory like green wood.
You want old old ivory.
Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn