Karl Vorwerk

Me to. I'm in Honolulu and we have hard water. It used to happen in a
microwave with no turntable now I'm wondering if the turntable would shake
it enough to prevent superheating.
I also supercool water in my freezer about once a week. It's cool watching
the crystals spread in the water.
Karl

"Jeff R." wrote in message

"Tim Williams" wrote in message
"bw" wrote in message
Water does interesting things. Example. You live in the mountains at

2000
meters (6000 feet)
You put a cup of tap water in the microwave for a minute. Near
boiling.
Put the cup on the counter top and add 1 spoonful of instant coffee.
You now have a "coffee geyser"

Can do it at sea level too. Just need distilled water (no impurities)
and a
clean cup (no impurities). You can superheat it because there are no
impurities for bubbles to nucleate on. But drop anything in it, and...

Tim

Wha-a-a? That must mean our tap water (Sydney) is distilled - and *my*
cup is
clean? Ha!

Yes, this unhappy phenomenon is easy to reproduce - and hurts like Hell!

(Once bitten..)

--
Jeff R.