Gerald Miller

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 10:55:44 GMT, "Karl Vorwerk"
wrote:

I tried repairing the missing tooth on the nylon gear by welding some nylon
in place and then filed it to shape. It broke at the weld possibly due to a
lack of skill on my part as I've never welded plastic before and used a
piece of metal heated by my mapp gas torch to melt it. I'm considering
making a metal tooth screwed to a backing plate inside the gear rim. The
nylon gear is acting against a steel gear so I doubt it will cause too much
damage if it's a little off. The shredder was free because it was broken so
no great loss if I can't fix it. You can't buy a repair part from the maker.
My friend already tried.
Thanks
Karl

Somewhat similar problem with a nylon gear mounted on a 7/16 hex
shaft, any loading and the gear would jump a flat. Solution: I took a
cheap stamped hex wrench and trimmed it to fit within the rim of the
gear, then drilled and countersunk the gear and drilled and tapped the
wrench and bolted them together with 8-32 FH bolts well secured with
loctite. Works great now! Everybody thinks I'm cheap.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada