Chuck

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 09:55:32 GMT, "Rod" wrote:

I have some very soft timber that is giving me problems with grain tearout.
Ashley Isles make a Reg Sherwin Shear Scraper that looks like it would be
good for this application. I am wondering if anyone has used this tool and
what their experience was.

Shear scrapers are okay, and I have had decent results with Sorby's,
but you can save yourself a lot of work with razor edges and, if that
fails, ie. if the wood is just __too__ soft, you can try stiffening
the fuzz with either paste wax, or cellulose sanding sealer cut 50%
with turpentine. After either of them dries, the fibers will be much
more prone to cutting, providing you use the sharpest edge you can
manage.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com