Charlie Self

Ron Magen writes:

Asked me what it was marked, then
said, ' $50 and 'as is' '. When I said it may not even work, all she did was
shrug her shoulders.

I just shook my head and walked out . . . obviously they would rather 'eat
it' than but income toward overhead. Yet they are corporately growing . . .
everything to the 'lowest common denominator' of intelligence.

Some day, I'd like to see "same store" figures on actual growth for places like
Lowe's, HD, WalMart. They continue to grow, leaping and bounding across the
prairies and the mountains, but I don't think individual stores are growing all
that much. I live in an area where five years ago, there were probably two
WalMart stores and one Lowe's. We now have two Lowe's (and one HD), but
something close to 10 WMs in a 40 mile radius (that may be way on the low side:
I haven't really checked around Lynchburg, and I didn't count the two Sam's
which is nothing but WM on steroids).

The concept is simple: move into a new area, push evveryone else to the wall,
grow like crazy for two or three yeas, then go down the road four or five miles
(or less) and build a new store which does the same.

I wonder if it never occurs to the MBAs who foist this off as business planning
that there really is a finite number of people in this world with the money to
buy the products they want to sell. If it never occurs to them, then they are
even stupider than I think they are...and that is damned near impossible.

Charlie Self
"They want the federal government controlling Social Security like it's some
kind of federal program." George W. Bush, St. Charles, Missouri, November 2,
2000