Jeff Wisnia

Dee wrote:
I know it's tempting to beat the living **** out of the little freeloader,
but if you think you're mad now, wait until a judge orders you to recompense
him for his belongings, "pain and suffering," etc.

You can do no wrong by filing a formal eviction. It doesn't cost much and
covers your ass. ASSUME he has tenant's rights, because even though laws
vary from state to state, he does have rights - rights you gave him. The
fact that he doesn't pay and broke the verbal contract is of no consequence
at this juncture; you still have to do a legal eviction, just as you would
if you had a written contract.

Contracts don't mean a thing once you've provided a space for another human
to reside. As such, it has to be inhabitable. So don't cut off his
electricity or water, much as you want to (and in my opinion, have a right
to!). Don't dispose of ANY of his belongings. Go the formal route. In the
long run it will benefit YOU. Next time don't let anyone live in your
property without a legally binding contract, background check, and
deposit/first month's rent up front. I speak from experience; I was a
landlord for 15 years.

This thread is scarey!

We usually put up visiting professionals we've never met about once a
year or so when the Rotary Club I belong to participates in a "Group
Study Exchange" with a Rotary club in a different part of the world. We
house them in our now unused nanny suite for a week. All of those Rotary
visitors have been great guests, and probably have been pretty
thoroughly screened by the club sponsoring them, so chances of one of
them turning into a "Kathy's nightmare" are slim, but it's something to
think about....

If contracts don't mean anything, how do these things work in hotels?
Can a deadbeat with more debts than assets pay for one night in a hotel
room and then refuse to vacate it until the hotel goes through all those
proper legal steps?

Or are hotels covered by a different section of the law?

My curious mind wants to know.....

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia