bw

"Bob" wrote in message
ups.com...
I faintly remember from my chemistry days that alkalai solutions are
more prone to "bumping" than neutral or acidic solutions, but I don't
remember why...:-(

However, I speculate that it might have to do with the fact that hot
alkalai is a very effective cleaner and degreaser; this might tend to
remove nucleation centers which facilitate boiling (like dirt and
grease) from the pot walls and bottom , and thereby make the formation
of sudden, violent steam bubbles more likely.

Again, this is pure speculation, just sitting here thinking about it.
Regards,

Bob

Water does interesting things. Example. You live in the mountains at 2000
meters (6000 feet)
You put a cup of tap water in the microwave for a minute. Near boiling.
Put the cup on the counter top and add 1 spoonful of instant coffee.
You now have a "coffee geyser"
QED